The government is set to launch tenders for 30 GW of solar power projects, kicking off President Prabowo Subianto’s ambitious plan to build 100 GW of additional solar capacity pledged in various events, including his 14 Augustb14, 2026 state budget speech.
“We have discussed this first phase with Pak Darmawan [Prasodjo, president director of state electricity company PLN]. We will begin the tender process now,” Energy and Mineral Resources Minister Bahlil Lahadalia said during the Indonesia International Geothermal Convention & Exhibition in Jakarta on August 19, 2026.
The minister said the direction of electricity system development has been set through PLN’s electricity business plan (RUPTL). He added that the solar capacity target underscores the government’s commitment to the energy transition.
Prabowo previously announced a plan to build 100 GW of solar power over the coming years, saying it could save the state up to Rp 73.9 trillion ($4.14 billion) annually in the basic cost of electricity production.
Prabowo also framed the programme as key to strengthening energy self-sufficiency down to the village level.