Post - Articles

Turkeys’ Akkuyu nuclear plant Unit 1 may be operational in 2022

  • 2 months ago (2021-10-01)
  • David Flin
Middle East 271 Nuclear 531

President Erdogan of Turkey has announced that the first unit of the Akkuyu nuclear power plant, being built by Rosatom , may be put into operation in 2022.

Hitachi Energy
More info

Hitachi Energy

The $20 billion project, financed by Rosatom, will be the first nuclear power plant to be built in Turkey. The intergovernmental cooperation agreement signed in 2010 provides Russia with a 99.2 per cent stake in the project, with the remaining 0.8 per cent owned by Turkey. Construction of Akkuyu began in 2018.

The project involves construction of four 1200 MW PWR units, which will be able to generate 35 TWh annually. The project is located near the port of Mersin on Turkey’s Mediterranean coast.

The plant will use the BOO co-investment model, with Russia responsible for both helping build the plant and the overall safety and operation of the facility when it has been commissioned.