Post - Articles

Egypt extends power interconnection tender with Saudi Arabia

  • 1 year, 9 months ago (2020-04-10)
  • David Flin
Middle East 275 Transmission 116

Egyptian Electricity Transmission Company (EETC) has extended the tender for the contract to build the infrastructure to enable power interconnection between Egypt and Saudi Arabia. The 40-60 days tender extension is attributed to the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.

8th World photovoltaic energy conversion conference
More info

8th World photovoltaic energy conversion conference

The estimated budget for the interconnection line is $1.6 billion, down from the previously reported budget of $2.1 billion. Egypt is expected to fund 40 per cent of the project, with Saudi Arabia expected to pay the remaining 60 per cent. The project aims to exchange 3GW of electricity daily at peak times.

Seven firms had already been invited to bid for the contract: Larsen & Toubro, State Grid, NCC, KEC International, Kalpataru, and El-Sewedy.

The project includes the extension of a 20km submarine cable, with a capacity of up to 3000MW, over the Gulf of Aqaba.