Post - Articles

Armenia to build its biggest solar power plant

  • 11 months ago (2021-07-27)
  • David Flin
Asia 721 Middle East 287 Solar 169

The Armenian government plans to expand the country’s renewable energy capacity by building two new solar power plants. It has finalised a deal with Masdar from the UAE to build the first plant by 2025.

MENA Power Projects Forum 2022
More info

MENA Power Projects Forum 2022

The 200 MW Ayg 1 plant will become the country’s largest solar power plant and will have nearly half of the current capacity of Armenia’s main generator, the Metsamor nuclear power plant. It will cover an area of around 500 hectares in central Armenia’s Aragatsotn province. The Armenian National Interest Fund (ANIF) will own 15 per cent of the plant, while Masdar will own the remaining 85 per cent.

Masdar will invest $174 in the project.